Friday, December 19, 2008

Snow, snow, and more snow

So today we enjoyed our first "major" snow storm. I don't know why I put that in quotation marks because it infers the opposite. Let me try again.
So today we enjoyed our first major snow storm. Okay...better.
In the morning when I left for work there was no sign of impending doom but once I left work two hours later the snow had started to fall. Also, it wasn't falling in the "oh it looks so pretty and magical, like unicorns playing with rainbows" it was falling in the "my eyeballs are hurting from the ice daggers that are falling in every possible direction."

All of the kids had their faces pressed against any and every possible window in order to get a look. I'm sure in the morning before school the thoughts of "perhaps they will cancel school today," danced in their heads. But...like many a school day and division before it, these dancing thoughts and hopes were dashed. Now dash away, dash away, dash away all, thought the school division deciders.

However, all hope was not lost. At noon, begrudgingly admitting defeat, the school decided to close. Fortunately, and by fortunately I mean unfortunately, I drove all the way back to school for lunch hour supervision only to find out that the school was closing. I guess in the craziness of calling every single parent they forgot to call the staff. Whoops! I did manage to squeeze in an hour of work supervising the main lunch room about a quarter full with the remaining kids. All was not lost. Yes David, there is a Santa Claus.

Now we have about 20 cm of snow on the ground with another 20 on the way for Sunday and more perhaps Tuesday. Since we leave for Winnipeg on Wednesday we are hoping that things will be clear and ready to go by then. If not, I have always wanted to spend Christmas at the airport. I mean, look at how much fun people have in the movies.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers